Machine Compatibility: 8, 9**
BRILLIANCE series, DESIGNER DIAMOND series*, DESIGNER RUBY series*, DESIGNER TOPAZ series*, SAPPHIRE series*, OPAL series*, EDEN ROSE 250C*, TRIBUTE 140C*, DESIGNER SAPPHIRE 85.
Not sure which group your machine belongs to? Check out the Machine Compatibility Chart
The double fold 12mm (1/2") binder turns a light woven fabric strip into binding and attaches it to the project edges all in one step when fitted with H4129642-06 or the H4129642-07 stitch plate.
* When fitted with H4129642-06 or H4129642-07 stitch plate.
**For use wiht H9205680-96 Quilt Binder Foot for IDF System
How to use:
- Attach the Interchangeable Dual Feed and Quilt foot.
- Set the machine for a straight stitch or hand look quilt stitch.
- Place the attachment plate on the stitch plate of the machine. Align pin on the back of attachment plate to the top opening on the stitch plate of the machine. Screw the attachment plate in place with one thumbscrew.
- Place the binder on the attachment plate and adjust the binder to line up. Attach the binder in place with the two thumbscrews and washers.
- Measure the length of your project and add at least 6” (15cm).
- Cut enough 1 3/4” (45mm) strips to equal that number and join the strips together. Cut the end of the strip into a point.
- Slide the fabric strip into the binder with the wrong side facing you using tweezers.
- When the fabric is through the end of the binder, hold the folded strip with your left hand and continue to feed it into the binder as shown while the fabric forms a double fold tape.
- Raise the presser foot and pull the strip under the foot and straight back 2.5” (5-6cm) behind the needle.
- Slide the fabric to be bound right side up into the slot of the binder. Adjust the stitch position to right or left to reach the desired needle position.
How to sew a quilt binder corner:
Sew to the edge of the quilt, tie off and then pull the quilt out from binder. Keep the quilt close to the binder when folding the corners. Finger press the folded fabric.
Create a mitered corner:
- Fold and pinch the top mitered corner, pin in place with a long pin. Repeat in the same way on the back of the quilt.
- To continue sewing the binding, pull the fabric strip back through the binder and at the same time place the quilt back under the presser foot and into the binder again.
- To ensure that the fold is right on both top and back, pull the quilt forward and back again a couple of times.
- Lower the needle to hold the binding in place and remove the needles. Pull out long thread tails behind the presser foot before starting to sew. Backstitch and sew the binder in place. Repeat on the other corners.
How to end the binding:
- Sew the binding all the way around the quilt edges. When the edges of the binding almost meet, cut the excess of fabric at the beginning of binding.
- Continue to sew, overlapping the binding one more time. Remove the quilt from the binder and trim excess leaving 1” (2.5) cm tail. Fold back the opening and pin in place. Sew a seam over the folded edge.
NOTE: See detailed instructions included with the attachment